Adopting a pet can mean a big life change for even the most experienced pet owner. Fortunately there are many free resources available online to help with quick questions and to get you on your way. We’ve included some links that our volunteers have found useful and interesting.
Note that none of these should be a substitute for professional veterinary advice – or your own sound judgment about your own animal family members.
For Potential Adopters
For Approved Adopters
The following documents are important to the adoption process, both for the meet and greet and bringing your new dog home. Please review the documents in each link and talk to your adoption coordinator or foster if you have any questions.
Children and Dogs
Dog Rescue Books
- The Little Blue Dog Series - by Karen J. Roberts
- Shelter Dogs - Traer Scott
- The Possibility Dogs: What a Handful of "Unadoptables" Taught Me About Service, Hope and Healing - Susannah Charleson
Children's Books about Dogs and Pets
Dog Training and Behavior Books
- How to be the Leader of the Pack - Patricia McConnell
- I'll Be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety - Patricia McConnell
- Way to Go! How to Housetrain a Dog of Any Age - Patricia McConnell
- The Cautious Canine - How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears - Patricia McConnell
- The Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson
- Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog - Brenda Aloff